2 June 2017

Nova Beard Trimmer: First Look- it's a steal

Hell, I never thought I would ever write a Product Review.

But why not?
It is easier and much more fun than writing a step by step tutorial how you do shit on Blogger (I really have many ideas for that, but I'm too lazy to write all those).

Damn it, it is fun, the new shit in my hand inspired me, I just put it for charging and started writing a First Look review.

Some people might find me biased, it is because I'm biased. If you want complete unbiased things just look at specs sheet on Amazon, it is the only thing that's 100% unbiased. If I like something for a certain reason and you do not appreciate the same, then you know then that the product is not for you. So, the biased review works just fine that way.

And the review will not be very much information (you are gonna find the technical information on Amazon anyway), it would be somewhat emotional.


Well the product is a Cheap Beard Trimmer: Nova NHT 1045 Beard Trimmer.
Nova NHT 1045 Beard Trimmer
I believe it when they call it a "PROFESSIONAL TRIMMER." Nowadays only Barbers use such inexpensive trimmers.



The delivery was carried out by Indian Postal Service and I do not count delivery as a factor of rating a product. And I love Post Offices very much, no matter how much its service becomes insignificant in modern India. Oh, that gives me an idea to write another article on "How much I love Indian Post Offices".

Well, the delivery was not actually bad, if and only it did a little thing, I would have considered it very good. Here's my suggestion to you dear India Post, when you send the message "Arriving Today: Your package with Big Shit (Dark Brown) is out for delivery" provide the contact no. of the delivery guy with it. So that we can contact him if for any reason he can not. It sometimes becomes a miserable experience as it did in my case.

Now, the Packing. Packing from Amazon is fine as always but the box of the main product! It degrades every year for everything, cell phones being a major example if you guys remember how the boxes used to be with Nokia N series phones and now look at the box of any 20k phone. Yeah, the box is very cheap, the box nowadays shows how insignificanificant (yes I misspelt and I like it) the products are, it tells "You are gonna through the product by the end of the year, anyway."


The box contains...

 everything the picture shows
Nova NHT 1045 Beard Trimmer

But the thing to notice (which lazy me did not before having the product in hand) is the combs. There are only two of them, one is of 6mm and another 9mm. So, if you do not have beard long enough, like me, the combs will not be useful, and if you do not always want a clean shave just walk off.

Features:

It costs around Rs. 350 (plus shipping charge), very inexpensive. It will be considered throughout all the points later. 
  • Decent aesthetics, ergonomics, and built quality
  • Cordless use (means Rechargeable)
  • Removable battery (Good because you can change easily)
  • Vibration is not unbearable (little more than Philips QT4000/15)
  • Was warming up a bit while charging
  • Only three settings for length, 0.5mm, 6mm and 9mm (the worst part)

I will rate it 3.5 as everything is good at this price, but I'm obsessed with not having enough setting for length.

Links:





You know the features now, but if you have time, read the whole article to actually feel it.

I have used Philips QT4000/15, which many of you might be knowing, very common one. I bought it from JABONG on Jan 2015. Will compare few things with it so that you understand the contrast.



The design is good Aesthetically. Ergonomically it seems good but yet I haven't tested how it runs.

Its feel and look, I mean the built quality and the finishing is good for its price. haven't used it yet, as I am supposed to keep it charging for 8 hours for the first time. Yeah again like old day electronics. And it even comes with an AA rechargeable battery outside of the machine, which you have to put it inside the trimmer before using. That is good for one reason I will tell you later.

I really like its aesthetics, it is an old style heavy metallic (not actually) body. You really feel it in your hand, the screws are completely visible like a beast on 15 years back. I am not making fun of it, I rally like those. If I have to choose between a 50's car and a new Self-Driving one 100 out of 100 times I would choose the grandpa. So, if you like me you will like it, and it does not look that old.

But it is no way comparable with Philips QT4000 because its style is modern, it is lightweight, smooth finishing, plastic body, with good ergonomics. And the cheapest one costs 4 times that of Nova. Certainly, it is on the different pole.

And let me tell you about ergonomy of the Philips trimmer, I still call it not bad but it made me bleed several times while trimming the critical contour below my chin. So, you get it, the finishing doesn't matter that much.



And, one more criterion for me to love an electronic stuff is I have to be able to dismantle it, it may be a phone or be any other electric device or let it be a car doesn't matter. Well, this may be most of the modern people wouldn't care for, still, I think there should be an option for those who care.

The Philips one doesn't allow you to dismantle it easily. I don't know how the company repair it, I have to break it open to check what is inside.

The main reason for big companies making it such so that you can not even try to repair a product yourself, you need to pay them to repair it or buy a new one. I don't mind if people themselves choose not to repair a thing and just buy a new one instead. But it is a really big issue which most of the people don't understand that it is not their actual preference, it is incepted in their minds and a trend is made by the big companies through centuries to make more money. And that is why you buy a new phone every year.



Well, that's for a different day, let's talk about the trimmer.

It does not have enough customisable size of cutting, only 6mm and 9mm. That makes it miserable because 3mm is the most useful size for the people like me who don't have that great beard and don't prefer to be cleanly shaven. And I know there are many of us.



I can not tell how long it will last, one of my friends had a Nova Trimmer since 2010-11, which cost him about Rs.250, it had better look and way better box than mine. It lasted more than 3 years, then he just got bored of it and started using a razor. So, it may last long or may not, all depends more on your luck.

And, my Philips trimmer started losing charge after around 8 months, so first that sometimes I had to take two shots for trimming my beard.

What I had to do is trim at night for the first time, so that if it loses charge, I will not have to go to college half shaven. I can do the rest in the morning.

I was too lazy to check the warranty and claim for the replacement.

I mentioned ones removable battery is sometimes good. Here is the reason. A Year later I tried to open it up but couldn't. While putting it back, I lost a small shaft which you find when you remove the head.



"And that, kids, is how I met your mother". I'm sorry.

And that, buddies, is why I bought this trimmer.

Now I think should write a review on Philips just to have more content out.

And please, let me know what do you think? Do you wanna buy a branded one or you just grab anything capable of chopping your beard off? Do you like a traditional style or the modern, everything automated one? Would you like to read some more of this kinda articles or want me to stop writing and even delete all existing ones? Just comment what you think, down below. And share maybe! 



2 comments:

Popular Posts